Skip to content

the race:

August 15, 2010
Planned wake-up for 6am.  Unfortunately a cell phone malfunction, a crying baby, and a chicken (?) all nudged me out of bed shortly after 5am. 

Having spent the summer dying from humidity, high temps, and excruciating leg pain – I was still feeling confident.  After getting ready (shower, toilet x 2, advil, tiger balm, & compression socks) I walked straight to the balcony to check the temperature.  

I-70 winding up through the mountains

The temperature was around 40° – I got so excited that I put on my long-sleeve shirt. 

We (The Hubs – aka diva squad) jumped in the truck for a 20 mile drive up the interstate at 6:45am.  I struggle to eat anything before 10am – I know  about the importance of fuel before a race, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it so I attempt to ‘fuel’ by choking down a clif bar on the drive:

We arrived with plenty of time to get parked, use the crapper, and huddle at the start to keep from freezing to death.  At least this is what I was believing as I caught up with my bloggeess (now real lifees) Marcia & Tara:

Me, Marcia & Tara

Notice the brains of these two experienced runners.  They are wearing tank-tops – I am wearing a long-sleeve shirt with a jacket over it.  Such a wiener. 

After waiting in line for 50 minutes at the toilets it was time to start and I hadn’t even seen the inside of one of those things yet.   Luckily the course starts by looping around Georgetown and back by the toilets.  I knew I had one more chance to see the inside of a Colorado Porta-Potty when I finished my loop. 

lost the jacket - my cool factor just jumped 10 points.

Thankfully I finished the loop around town in 19 minutes – jumped off the course to ‘use the facilities’ and back on the road only wasting 45 seconds!   

The course was beautiful.  My legs felt fantastic.  The air was sooooo thin and cool.  No sweat.  Literally. 

As the sun rose between the mountains, so did the temperature.  Somewhere around mile 5 the shirt came off.  My body cooled 20° and my energy level jumped.  I was still feeling good.  Because I don’t wear a Garmin or have any clue how to pace myself I look at my trusty Timex to estimate my distance & time.  I looked down at my watch – 55 minutes – when I looked up I saw the 6 mile mark!  Right on time to finish at 2 hrs.  The course description is described as “downhill” – I missed the part about “rolling hills“.  By mile 8 my lungs and legs were starting to feel the altitude. 

After passing the 8 mile mark I looked at my watch – 1:16 – lost time in two miles.  Not to worry.  I started watching  runners around me and noticed Marcia about 50 yards ahead.  I was pumped to see her.  Marcia has qualified for and run Boston twice.  I’m in awe.  Seeing her tricked me into believing I’m the same caliber runner as she.  For two miles I attempted to catch her.   Finally at mile 10 I got her!  Forget the fact that she stopped to refill her water bottle – ignore those details.  Marcia caught up with me and we discussed the course – the uphill battle – the thin air (Marcia is from Chicago) – the plan for finishing without dying.  That was my plan – finish without death.  It’s the best I could come up with.

After turning a corner we noticed people lined along the side of I-70 cheering and taking pictures.  I glanced up to see The Hubs up there.  I yelled for him and he caught us as we went by:

With only two miles to go I felt strong, however was fading fast.  Marcia was great support.  She kept me distracted even though my brain was telling me to “just lay down already” Marcia encouraged both of us to finish strong. 

In the final mile we crossed under the interstate for one last little hill.  I felt as if I was jogging in super-slow-mo and for the first time in the race considered walking – the last mile.  Marcia stuck with me and we soon heard “just over a quarter of a mile to the finish!”  As we turned the corner toward the finish some hott tall guy yelled my name:

 Smiles.  A wave.  And a finish!

2:07.02.  Not a PR – but an ass-kickin’ good time.  I’m glad I ran it.  There is plenty I would change if I were to do it again – but I doubt I’d do that one again. 😉

Next up?  “the girls:”

Super huge thanks to the tall hott guy who followed me and a bunch of strangers around for two-days taking pictures and doing anything we asked of him. 

5 Comments leave one →
  1. August 16, 2010 6:17 am

    Awesome job sis!

  2. August 16, 2010 1:02 pm

    I love your RR – you are one helluva writer and also runner! I know you’re a little bummed with the lack of PR but this course isn’t conducive to produce them and with that dang porta-potty mess, I think you ran amazingly. That hot guy is pretty amazing, you are so lucky to have him there for you…he had nothing but complete admiration and respect for you! 9 weeks til I get to see you again – yay!!! Enjoy a couple days off to rest and repair strained leg muscles. And hug hugs to those kiddos of yours for placing so well in their races, too. AWESOME!!
    love ya!!! 🙂

    • Shana permalink
      August 16, 2010 4:17 pm

      thank you. in more ways than you can imagine.
      just wait til you read my post completely dedicated to that man!
      i’m a lucky, lucky, girl.
      Love you.

  3. August 16, 2010 5:37 pm

    Congrats girl! You ran a tough race in the thin air of Colorado and I think you did amazing!!! You are going to rock Denver RnR half right off the map! And I can’t wait to see you do it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: